Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2005

BMW (Bharatiya Motor Wehicle)

I was just talkin to a friend of mine. And I happen to casually ask the one question that every single male loves to answer. "which car do you like?". My friend was no exception to this, as he replied "Car?(like he cudnt believe that I just took the name of the GOd's given blessing to man.. no, not woman but car!) He continued "....hmmm i dream about buying a bmw one day .....a convertible one at that" After a few seconds of silence..(Which i expect was his time to be alone with his dream million dollar car and the convertible and the girls and phew! i need to catch breath). After this eternally long moment jampacked with imaginative vroom vroom sounds.. he returned back to earth and said.."hmmm high hopes eh ?" I said nope not at all. Its then that i let the cat out of the bag and said "i got news for u.. BMW is COMING TO INDIA!"

Yup guys! I just watched the news a fortnight ago and we have Jayalalitha, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, exchanging the memorandum with the Vice President of BMW. BMW will be having its own suppliers by 2007, near Chennai. From what I could grasp from the news (which by the way was in Tamil), It seems BMW wants to go global and they find India as a great prospective. They will be assembling BMW locally in the Mahindra City. They say this is the third Foriegn Car to set up a local assembly plant near Chennai after Ford and Hyundai. It seems quite a natural choice, owing to the sea-port location of our good ol Madras City.

My friend obviously squealed with delight (i know i know thats very childish, but this is cars.. and cars are the 'technical babies' for men) and said , well it seems my dream of getting that car is getting closer. I agreed. I mean, heck, even if they sell an auto with a bmw sign stickin on its nose, i would buy it. My friend retorted "yeah, even a cycle would do for me".
Now this is what i call a typical Indian mentality. Cmon, we need to keep up the standards man! I mean if Karunanidhi was in power, before you know he would be posing in Kumudham releasing his new book with a bmw cycle along with each and SunTv will broadcast this as the primetime news (and thankfull forget all about Bill Gates visit with the CM). Well, such is the case with 70 yr old poets in political parties. He will produce an IT minister like Dayanidhi Maran(or Moron) who will bring BillGates to Karunanidhi's house for a talk (on God knows what? new software for karunanidhi's poems?). This will be flashed all over in the news... of course they will conveniently put the happenings of the video on mute (u cant afford to listen to Karunanidhi's translators having difficulty there with Bill Gates.. but nevertheless all say cheeese!)

All said and done, I am happy to note that we are attracting some good quality cars. I know, i know, bullock carts are the best anyday. But all i wanted to say was Buckle Up people, your ride on bumpy muddy Indian roads are going to get smoother. :)

PS : Oh and for lots of reasons, i decided to leave out the name of the friendly freund of mine. He asked me if i was going to disclose anything personal about him. I said nothing personal, just his biodata, cv, maritial plans, bank account numbers etc etc... shhh dont tell him!

8 comments:

Divster said...

Hey Intern

Wow, thats called co-incidence. You are right! Lots of cars have manufacturing plants in India.
I was only talking about the assembly plants NEAR CHENNAI. In that score, Ford and Hyundai are the ones situated outside Chennai. Of course, now BMW will follow suit.:)

Nice, Intern u always cum up with good stuff! :) Lets hope the FERRARI reaches faster..im pining on buying that.. or hoping sum1 wud buy that!:D

Jagadish said...

:D..nice name :D..BMW that suits to Indian needs word to word :)

Vc said...

Are u bubbling energetic girls even aware of the prices of the above mentioned cars ?

If yes, then, are you aware of the state of roads in India ?

If you are nodding your head yet again...I give up.
You and your flying brooms ...

Up Up and away...

Self Writeous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Self Writeous said...

Be it their prowess in Heavy Engineering (BOSCH)or automobiles (DC / BMW / Porshe), German Engineering spells class.

Though for most people BMW resonates of svelte swanky cars and stylish bikes, to me the character of the company outgrows its products. Almost destroyed after the 2nd world war and banned from producing a single automobile for 3 years BMW regrouped from its ashes to get to where it stands today.

BMW flopped miserably in its previous venture in the coutry where it tried producing the Funduro 650CC mobike in collaboration with Hero motors (of the Hero Honda fame). The bike was too ahead of its time and a scooter obsessed price conscious India wasn't ready to shell out a lakh of rupees on a bike.

I hope they have a more successful stint this time around.

I remember most of my guy pals drooling over Charlize Theron in The Italian Job (Newer Version)while my female friends were going ga-ga over Ed-Norton and Mark Wahlberg, I was transfixed by something else, the movie has some of the best ever small car chase sequences in modern cinema ... all Mini Coopers :)

Self Writeous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Divster said...

Hoh>> I agree! I think the brand image of BMW stands quite distinct despite Mercedez.

Kirthi said...

Somehow Mercedes just has class class and class written all over it. Sorry div, but I love the benz. Maybe its coz dad likes it too. No good reason eh?